Sunday, February 17, 2008

Good Food

Getting used to inexpensive classiness.
Here in Namibia, there are a couple really classy eatining establishments that, compared to the U.S., are very inexpensive. The first on the list is NICE, which stands for the Namibian Institute of Culinary Education. It is a school/restaurant, and we have gotten to know a couple of the people that work there. The downstairs is a very fancy eating area with the most extensive bar I have seen in this town. The establishment is quite new, as it just opened within the last couple years. So far I have ordered the fish and chips and the NICE chicken wings. While the chicken wings were ok, the fish and chips was the best I have had since I arrived in Africa (and I order it a lot). The sauce that came with it was delicious. It was a lemon and vinegar mayonase mix and it was awesome. Upstairs from the bar is a deck that reminds me quite a bit of Stellas back home, and that contains a wine and sushi bar. Although I am not a big sushi eater back home, the sushi here is good. We ordered tuna and cajuin smoked salmon California rolls, both of which were really good. I tried sake for the first time while I was there, and I think it is a taste that is to be aquired after some time. We will see. The best thing about all of this is that between all this food plus drinks (jack and coke for me, reminds me of home) our group of 8 spent about five hundred dollars Namibian, which is about sixty USD. Not expensive at all for the quality of everything at NICE.
The other place I need to mention is a place we kind of stumbled upon. We were trying to go to this seafood resturant for dinner, but it was closed when we got there. So we decided to walk around to see if we could find something else. We had only walked a few feet and we noticed this resturant called the Gourmet tucked away behind the mall. We looked over the menu and decided it looked good enough. The place was very quiet as noone does anything in this city on Saturday. Not even exagerating, as everything closes by 3 pm and the normally busy city resembles a ghost town. Back to the restaurant, the Gourmet has a very extensive menu, so deciding on what to order was somewhat difficult. For the past few days I had been telling people that I wanted a steak as big as my face, so I went with the T-bone and chips (fries). Best decision ever. The steak was really as big as my face and was almost two inches thick. It was covered in fried onions (which I took off) and butter. Of course I ordered it cooked medium, so it was dripping with delicious goodness. It came with grilled squash green beans (which I did eat, mom) and fries, all of which were delicious. Everything about the meal and the restaurant was great, but to top it off my steak dinner and my friends calamari dinner ended up costing about N$ 210, or just over $30 USD. Craziness.
I am already getting used to this inexpensive classiness, and I better get over it before I get home, because the classiness here is a fraction of the price that it is back home for similar things.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious. Keep eating your veges.

love you.
mom

Alex said...

Man, i was salivating while reading your entry. Jealous, yes. I can still remember my last fish and chips meal. The thought of it almost makes me cry. Remember each bite and the greasy explosion of goodness that accompanies it!

Sounds like you are having fun and learning a lot. Nice blog entries, keep up the good work.

I was surprised looking at your pics. I guess being a dumb American i thought it would be less developed there. Learn some thing new everyday!

KelseyChristine said...

Speaking of good food,
Peter and I went to True Thai the other day (For "We Miss Jesse" therapy) and I ordered Pad Thai...
so guess what Peter wanted to order?? Yup, the SAME thing surprise, surprise. I laughed at him and told him that one of these days he was going to have to get a mind of his own, and so he ordered curry instead. But then he tasted my Pad Thai and liked it better. Now he is very resentful. The end.
haha

Anonymous said...

Messy Jesse,

Sounds like you are getting exactly what you were looking for: a tough yet rewarding experience. I am glad that you are asking the tough questions. I can't wait till you get back so I can hear if you find the tough answers.

Stay rebellious and teachable, CB.

KelseyChristine said...

you're a terrible blogger! it's been more than a month since your last post geeesh.
When you get back from your Spring break trip I better see a long post complete with lots of pictures.
love ya!